As more schools use MTSS as the framework for implementing the science of reading, questions arise about the characteristics of the tiers of instruction.
Here are a few FAQs about Tier 2 intervention.
1. What Is The Purpose of Tier 2?
Tier 2 is:
- provided to the small group of students who are still at risk after the provision of effective Tier 1 instruction
- designed to accelerate learning
- aimed at catching students up to grade-level reading goals
2. How Is Tier 2 Defined?
The characteristics of Tier 2 include:
- small group
- in addition to, not instead of, Tier 1 instruction
- 3-5 times per week
- 30-45 minutes per day
- explicit, systematic, research-aligned instruction, delivered by a trained instructor
- focused on eliminating skill deficits
- frequent progress monitoring so intervention can be changed if it isn't working
- planned by a grade-level or school-level planning team using screening and diagnostic assessment data
3. How Is Tier 2 Different From Tier 1?
Tier 2 is more intensive,...