The vision of the Stronger Together: The Alliance for Reading Science in Higher Education (STARS-HE) Consortium is that all teachers will learn and implement the science of reading through training received in their pre-service teacher training programs and their advanced degree programs.
The mission of the STARS-HE Consortium is to support:
- teacher training faculty to continually deepen their understanding of the science of reading and to develop and implement scientifically-aligned practices in their coursework and field experiences,
- public school districts to create systems to support teachers to implement reading science,
- departments of education and state superintendents to collaborate with teacher training faculty to align teacher licensure exams and program accreditation with reading science.
To accomplish this mission, the STARS-HE Consortium is engaging in the following actions to form a collaborative alliance of those experts advancing the science of reading in higher education:
- creating a network of higher education faculty who are interested in collaborating, learning and sharing resources through
- presenting at professional conferences
- pre-conference gathering at The Reading League Conference, October 2022
- sharing information in professional publications
- networking and sharing resources in a private Facebook group
- gathering monthly in a Community of Practice
2. Sharing documents and other resources
3. Forming an advisory board that can be a resource to Institutes of Higher Education, Departments of Education, and legislators who seek guidance and expertise on how to advance the science of reading in their institutions and states.
For more information contact Stephanie Stollar at [email protected]